In the six weeks I've been here I've done just 3 loads of laundry because I've given away most of my clothes. Even to women who are three times my size because they have daughters or granddaughters who could use my ropas. And nail polish, perfume, coffee mugs. No more clothes to give away, having ridded myself of my only perfume, I pulled out a box of earrings I had made - dangly things made with Swarovski crystals - and we traded for those. The earrings were a big hit. I now have a lot of shell necklaces in their place. The women are quite specific in their wants/needs. "Antonia," Henrietta said, "Uno mil pesos y musica for this basket. You have cassette? Radio?" No, sorry, just these Bose speakers attached to my laptop.
Ignacia and Henrietta were the first to visit. Turns out that Ignacia is Lydia's best friend. Then Josefina and Juana came by. Josefina is Lydia's sister and Juana is Ignacia's; Henrietta is her best friend. Lydia seems to be the matriarch. She showed up near dark last night. I was surprised to see her. "Antonia, I am so hungry. Need pesos for food." She brought out more shell necklaces and I bought one for 30 pesos. "Do you have sopa?" she asked. I went inside my casita and returned with a bar of soap. We both got a good laugh out of that. I know sopa means soup but I was suffering from foreign language exhaustion. I told her not to eat it. I found a small can of frijoles so I gave her that.
When she left, I returned to cooking my dinner of pasta with chicken, artichoke hearts and sundried tomatoes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment