Saturday, June 23, 2007

you're in Mexico; speak Mexican

Felix comes by with his ironwood carvings. He knows I want some as gifts (los regalos). Besides, today he needs 450 pesos for the electricity.

I pick up a hummingbird. "Chuparosa" he says. This must be a Mexican word because I can't find it in my spanish dictionary (so the spelling is a guess).

I pick up a road runner. I can't grasp what Felix calls it and the next time I see him, I'll ask him again because that, too, is not in my dictionary. This time I'll write it down.

I bring out a bag of grapes as a gift. "How do you say that in ingles?" he asks. I say: "grayp". He has a difficult time with this word. "In espanol", he says "uva" and I think "great, another word that sounds likes eggs and thursday".

At stores, shopkeepers will say the price in spanish, and I'll repeat; then often they will attempt an english pronunciation and I'll help them. Back and forth, we trade words. People are hungry to learn my language. They hope for more tourists from the north and because most tourists from the north are reluctant to learn their language, they need to know the tourists' language. It is their bread and butter, tortilla y queso.

Yesterday at the Pemex, the woman filling my tank asked if I wanted "magna" or "premium". Why I had a hard time saying "magna" I'll never know but I did so she suggested that I ask for "verde o roja". Mucho gracias, I respond.

I remember this: My friend who is a bartender reprimanded a Hispanic man for asking for an ashtray in spanish. She said "You're in America; speak english." When she relayed this story to her daughter and I, we both reprimanded her. "You don't know," I said, "he might have been a tourist."

The next time my bartender friend and I visited the border town and we sat at an outdoor cafe and she asked for an ashtray, I said "you're in Mexico; you should've asked for that in spanish."

In the three months that I have been here, no one has been rude to me. No one has made me feel less than human because I don't speak their language. No one laughs because it is impossible for me to roll my r's.

Jose at the ice plant says, "you have to ask for a bag of ice this way: una bolsa con hielo" and as I carry the ice home, I say "una bolsa con hielo" to myself over and over because learning a new language is difficult, especially at this age. The next day I go to the restaurant and ask for a glass of ice "una vaso con hielo". To my ears "bolsa and vaso" sound a lot alike. I wish the Mexican "v" wasn't pronounced as a "b", it would make my life so much easier.

Felix says: "Every day I will help you with espanol and you help me with ingles, okay?"

I say: "Mucho gracias. Hasta manana."

Felix says: "Say it in ingles."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just thought I would explain the word chuparosa...the word chupar is a verb that means "to suck", and obviously hummingbirds love roses, so the term means "rose sucker", (the pollen that is..hee hee!) I love your bolg...it rocks and makes me laugh so hard. I lived in Mexico three years learned Spanish, gave birth there and was married there. I LOVE MEXICO!!!! Anyway my name is Jacqueline and I am a sister deary friend to your lovely, fantstic creative wonderful daughter Stefany. Anyway hopefully you have heard about me. I think we may have met briefly one time in our lives. Keep on writing. Goddess bless and enjoy the beautiful country of Mexico! Dale un besito de mi parte! That is for you to figure out the meaning.....have fun!

stefany said...

Alex taught me "chupa mi pepino".
Suck my cucumber. I like to throw it around at a party.
DD

Annette said...

jacqueline thank you so much for leaving a comment and i would email you back if i could so i passed a message on to stef. i am jealous that you know spanish! oh to have a younger brain (at least that's my excuse). thanks for explaining chuparosa and i will figure out 'dale un besito de mi parte'. i have heard lots about you from creatively wonderful stef and if we haven't met, we will.

DD, i'll try to remember 'chupa mi pepino' but shouldn't we use 'chupa mi melons'?

Anonymous said...

Your welcome for the comment and if you are jeallous of me that I speak spanish then I'm jeallous of you for being in Mexico right now! So there! Anyways can't wait to meet you! I would love to go there where you are with Stef....who knows......My e-mail is jackietumama@yahoo.com
hugs and kisses!
JT