Saturday, December 29, 2007

oh christmas dick tree*

I made it through Christmas and am looking forward to New Year's thanks to my two amigos. It's as though Santa delivered a couple of single guys so I wouldn't be alone, hiding from couples on Christmas day. Solo women would've done the trick too, I think, although mild flirtations and late-night kisses have been sweet bonuses.

These guys are great. Both smart, crazy and politically left-leaning. The Canadian has lived in an Airstream since 1972 even though he owns a house (which he rents out) outside of Vancouver. The other is from New Mexico and will head back to the States next week because he has to get to Yellowstone by the 20th to be a wolf observer, which he will do for three months. Interesting men.

This morning I read my journal entry from last New Year's day.

Last night I walked away from my trailer and looked back at the scene. Men gathered in the glow of my fire pit: Lew, Jon, Ted, Jim, Matt, Bobby. I made spaghetti and meatballs. Ted gave us all Cuban cigars which we smoked as we sipped shots of bourbon. In my old life I would most probably have been alone on New Year's Eve; certainly never would I have been the only woman surrounded by a group of men.

I ran across some photos I had downloaded from Jailbird Jr's camera. Those fire pit gatherings were an almost nightly occurrence at my place in the weeks surrounding the holidays (no, the bottles were not lined up for target practice).
Between Christmas and New Year's it snowed up in the Santa Rita's. I took a ride up into the mountains with The Jailbird and Jailbird Jr and The Dog.
And on New Year's Eve the boys went into the desert to play cowboys and indians or desperados or whatever game it was where they could shoot their guns.
Apparently I had a Christmas dick tree last year.

Wishing all of you a prosperous, healthy, happy 2008!

*'dick tree' stolen from my daughter's new BF although she may not be happy with me for linking to this entry

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you made me laugh, 'nette. Happy New Year and all the seasoned greetings you can find. I am almost there - work on Sunday cleaning out the office and maybe picking up the residue on Monday, and then outa there. They fired my replacement last Friday. She got drunk and told a lawyer off at the Christmas party. Did not bode well for her! Love you-- (loved fags in a dick tree)

Annette said...

dorothy, i have thought about you so much. counting down the days. i hope your replacement's firing doesn't affect your leave-taking. where will we meet up? sue's coming, too.

Anonymous said...

Sue's coming - where, when?

Annette said...

we haven't set up anything but i wondered if we couldn't all meet up somewhere....how's the first of april looking? arizona? sedona? four corners?

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Antonia ~ As always, your post has entertained me. Thank you!

Can you believe it is the year 2008?! The best wishes to you for this coming calendar year. junemoon

stefany said...

I guess Dick trees can be a good thing!I've made a permanant nest in mine!