Friday, May 23, 2008

arizona thermostat

Check it out. It is 58 degrees and I am freezing my ass off. Not just my ass but my knees, my feet, and my hands which are nearly frozen blocks of ice making typing extremely difficult. My shoulders are hunched forward in an effort to keep body heat closed in. It's not working. I am wearing socks, sweat pants, wool sweater.

I turned on the furnace for the first time in 16 months and it did not take the chill out of the air.

After relighting the pilot on the hot water heater - which had been blown out in last night's 60 mph gust - I did dishes, just so I could thaw my hands.

I'm not complaining about the weather what with cyclones, earthquakes, and tornadoes in other parts of the world, but fuck, it's cold. And fuck this wind.

Actually, I'm happy that I'm this cold because I've been craving that Arizonan's thermostat wherein down jackets are donned when the temperature drops to 73. I want to be able to wear a turtleneck and boots when it's 90 degrees - as my sister does - because 'I'm just soooooo cold'. I want to not turn beet red and break out in an unattractive sweat because the temp has risen to 82 (the temp at which most western Oregonians turn on the AC in their vehicles).

It's taken three years of desert living but I think I'm making progress. Last week when it was 94 I felt okay with the windows open and the fans going, didn't even contemplate turning on the air conditioning. I feel pretty confident that I'll be able to tolerate summer here in my new town, which is at about 6,000' elevation and thus 10 degrees or so cooler than Tucson. So I don't imagine I'll be facing many 110 degree days as I did on the other side of the mountains. Groovy. Now if I can only get through the winters.

Snowbirds come to Arizona to escape their winters but where do the Arizonans go?

Looks like I better get back to those Spanish lessons.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

check out http://www.optimnem.com - there is a link there to on-line Spanish in 10 lessons. Sounds unreal but the guy is a language genius. For $25 it might be worth a try, especially if you're in a location you can practice. BTW, I am freezing in South Dakota. d

Annette said...

d, i bet you're freezing in south dakota but you're supposed to be freezing in SD!

the arizona public libraries offer rosetta stone language courses for free to library card-holders. it's fun. maybe i'll go back to that.