We were having our nightly shot of tequila with a Tecate back. I said to my landlord "My horoscope for June was great. She said that I'll have work by June 3rd. Of course, I don't know why I believe her; last month she said I would meet my True Flame and he never showed up. On the other hand, I have always had better luck with jobs than with men."
The next day, June 2nd, I had a job. I couldn't believe it. I mean, even though I had remained optimistic and had successfully squelched any nagging worry before it became an all-consuming worry, I was still shocked when I got the job - the perfect job: working from home, the hours and the money both within the ranges I had been hoping for.
And then, just a couple hours later, who should appear at my trailer door but the motorcycle guy I had gone on the blind date with, the guy I hadn't heard from since the date. He said he lost my phone number and was surprised when he was on his way to the ballpark and saw my trailer at its new location. We got together later that evening and had a great time and we have plans to go to Tucson next week.
After the date, when I went to my landlord's for our nightly tequila with a Tecate back, he said "Congratulations. I heard you got a job."
"Not only that," I said, "but I also went on a date."
"Look at you! Look how things are going in your life. This calls for more tequila!"
My landlord and I are bad for each other in that regard, the tequila regard. But in other ways he is really good for me. For instance, he forced me to go to yoga with him. Fuck, that hurt, especially the position where a camel tries to go through the eye of a needle. Plus, I hadn't done yoga since I was a skinny little thing - it's hard to get into some of those positions with boobs and thighs and other enlarged body parts gettin' in the way.
So, not only am I going to yoga but I am doing other things outside my comfort zone, like submitting something I had written to my writers group and going to people's homes for parties and dinners, something I had always been reticent about doing, especially being the new kid in town.
This town. What a surprise it has turned out to be, living here on the rim of a mine. And, god, now a whole new phase of life is beginning - another new phase! In four years my life has gone from city girl, to trailer trash, to beach bum, now to writing yoga student who went on a date. I'm going to live in the moment, enjoy this phase, but I tell you, I can't wait to see what the next one brings.
Thursday, June 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I forsee the next phase being Published Author With Book Tour! (a'la Crazy Aunt Purl).
Though secretly I'm hoping that it is Married With Pets And House(hee hee!!). Ooh, and make that Married With Pets And House IN PORTLAND! (I know, I know, I pushed the envelope of crazy thinking with that last part. But I can always hope! ;))
hmmmm, me thinks you're projecting, as in i think you'll be the married one with pets and a house. and maybe then you'll need a winter home in southern Arizona!!! or i'll need a summer home in Oregon. shit, anything's possible.
Um before you settle down with pets and spouse and all...aren't you gonna be a world traveller? Isn't that what yoga is for?
Post a Comment