Thursday, April 23, 2009

can a man and a woman be friends? most people think not i think

Living in a small trailer park in Mexico forces me to interact with people I don't particularly care for. Interpersonal dynamics and individual biases cannot be avoided. This brings me to my latest conversation with Lesbian Couple #2.

I should dig up the original post so I can link to that but I'm too lazy so bear with me. They are the "liberal" couple I initially got along with but who I came to not like very much. They live in my old space which is right across the lane.

This was our conversation the other day after the Big One saw my newly installed ceiling fan.

She: Where did you get that fan?
Me: From Bobito and the Skeeper installed it.
She: How do you get men to do all these things for you?
Me: Well, that's kind of a new phenomenon. I used to be terrible about asking for help and now the universe just gives it to me.
She: Can I ask you a question? Do you pay them back?

In other words, am I a mooch or a whore?

I answered her question but afterward I was really pissed. I thought of all kinds of things I should've said.

Then last night as the Skeeper was fixing me dinner, wouldn't you know that her partner just had to come by and ask for a fish recipe. Uh-huh. Sure.

The Skeeper and I are getting a kick out of people--not just Lesbian Couple #2--wondering why we spend so much time together. After all he is married and this is just SCANDALOUS! It's hard for people to imagine that we have a friendship based on the fact that he likes to cook, doesn't like eating alone, and I can be charming company. Plus I helped him with his computer and I did the dishes. It's pretty simple.

If I had to choose between being thought of as a mooch or a whore, I'd take the latter any day. Especially at this age. It's kind of a compliment, actually.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ola chica,
I see you are back in the land of the amigos! Que bueno! I always love your stories from the sea of cortez and this one is no exception!
Paloma in Texas

Annette said...

paloma paloma paloma...how does that song go? cachucacucaru palooooooma! okay, i'm way off but i sure like it. anyway, i've been thinking of you, wondering how you're doing. why is emailing so hard sometimes? when you digging out that camper and coming this way?

Anonymous said...

Just wondering, are you good friends with the wife as well, and are you as charming with her as with her husband? Would she understand that your friendship is based only on dining alone with her husband and the personal attention you provide?

Annette said...

hola anon...i don't know the wife very well because she doesn't come down here much but the last time i was at her husband's for dinner she called and we had a great conversation. she seems to have no problem but if she did, then i would not continue these friendly meals.

oh and what a girl won't do for a free meal! while the skeeper is away, i will defrost his fridge. i like to keep that balance sheet as balanced as possible :o)