Wednesday, May 30, 2007

i am hippie, hear me roar

One of the RV'ers here said he told his daughter about me. "I told her that you are a hippie." I'm a hippie?! Holy fuck. Me? Hmmmm, well let's examine this.

Back in the 1970s when my daughter and I lived on the Oregon coast, in a little trailer in the woods (yes, I've done this trailer thing before), I put in a year or two as a hippie. Kind of. It was never really my thing. I think the words "alternative lifestyle" more accurately described me back then (and probably most of my life).

If I weren't trying to be anonymous, I'd post a photo of me as a city girl. Picture then: Short hair-do (usually brunette, sometimes blond), semi-dykey looking (more like a lipstick lesbian), bookish; baggy, boxy clothes when I gained weight, but all bought from places like Nordstrom or the Eileen Fisher store in Seattle, middle-aged arms ALWAYS covered. Lots of black with maybe a little purple, green or brown thrown in as an accent.

Picture now: Long-for-me hair, the blond giving way to gray due to lack of colorists in this Mexican fishing village; longish skirts, tank tops, and flip-flops in colors of turquoise, terracotta, sea green; beaded ankle bracelets, Mexican wooden saint wrist bracelets.

I guess because I don't wear khaki shorts and tee-shirts with idiotic sayings, I'm a hippie.
I guess because I live in a vintage Airstream trailer, and not some huge fucking rig, I'm a hippie.
I guess because I'm unemployed, I'm a hippie.
I guess because I'm the only liberal in the whole damn group, I'm a hippie.

Liberal vs conservative. That's a whole 'nother post but I just don't have the energy for it. It's a constant battle not to let the bastards - and a lot of the bastards are really nice people, but still - not to let the bastards get me down.

Anyway, I think I'll ask my daughter if I am a hippie - or was a hippie. I must say, I don't mind the hippie label one little bit.

2 comments:

stefany said...

I refer to you as a liberal intellectual. When people say "oh your mom is a hippy" I say "oh no..' she eats good cheese, drinks good wine, hates pot like I do,is well kept, and is very type A in many ways. Hippy is NOT how I see it. Her friends however, often were. When I was a kid anyway.More on this subject later.

Annette said...

Okay, I like that "liberal intellectual" although liberal smarty-pants may be more like it.

Mucho gracias mija!