Rapid posting because I'm on a roll...a writing roll...and because my time here is coming to an end and I'm not sure what kind of internet access I'll have in my new park in my new town. Hey, here's an interesting tidbit: My new site number will be 12, the same site number I had at The Home of Dashed Hopes for two years. How's that for a bit of synchronicity?
I cannot explain the sadness I feel. Even though I have left friends and family quite often over the past few decades, and I loved the people and the places I was leaving, I never felt a sadness about going. But here I'll look at someone who I may never see again and I'll get all choked up. Maybe that's the difference; with friends and family, I knew that we'd always be in touch, but I'm not so sure about the people who live in this little town. Unless I make an effort to come back. Which is certainly do-able beings as I won't be that far from the Mexican border.
At the office Rosa said "I won't say good-bye. I'll say 'have a good trip'."
"I know," I said, "let's pretend I'm going on vacation and that I'll be back soon."
Even the gringos say "Don't go. Can't you figure out a way to work here?" and I'm flattered that they all say that I'm an integral part of the park and they'll miss me - all except for Mrs. Texan who hasn't spoken to me in months but I think that's due to the politics of the park, that I'm a traitor for getting friendly with the snowbirds, rather than something I actually said or did. I think.
Last night some friends and I talked with a man who was here last year who took us out sailing. He will be down in April, just after I leave, but he said that in May the Colorado Springs Boys are planning on coming down and I said if that was so that I'd come back at least for a weekend. The Colorado Springs Boys aren't all boys - two are dads and two are sons - but are they partyers! And musicians. When they were here last year there was a lot of both, partying and music.
So hopefully I'll come down for a weekend in May. I can check up on Osita, make sure she is getting fed and getting attention. I'll get to see Rosa and the Bicycle Vendor and the Carver and all the waiters and waitresses and I can check up on the progress of the new pier which is replacing the one Henriette broke apart.
Maybe this little town is my home. I don't think I'll know for sure until I leave.
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Antonia ~ What a wise last sentence ~ I wish you safe travels and hopes that Space 12 will be a new home, for at least a while, to you.
I really hope you will have reliable internet hook up at the new place! junemoon
Happy trails to you--- Keep us posted.
gsc
thanks for the traveling wishes, junemoon and gsc. but first i have to figure out how to get all this newly-accumulated stuff (including a box of shells) into the van. where did it all come from? sheesh.
Antonia ~ I really hope the box of shells make the final cut - selfish I realize...
Tell me again the date of departure?
oh and how, exactly, did you find out Miguel Angel's name? Is there a story (a really fun and interesting story) that you're holding out on? junemoon
yes, junemoon, the shells are packed. some people say they have to be hidden so customs doesn't take them. we shall see.
i leave on tuesday.
no great story as to how i discovered chapo's name. when he came over for coffee he said "antonietta" instead of chapita. then he said his name. it was like we were formally introducing ourselves...another step in our courtship :o)
Post a Comment