Thursday, March 6, 2008

i am more than my bed

The countdown begins.

In 2-1/2 weeks I will move on to life #_____ (I've lost track).

I've started the packing and reorganizing and sorting processes. It's not easy. For instance, how to wrap and where to pack the ironwood carvings and indian baskets I have acquired? What about the shells? Some are definitely special but what about the others? I have done a major 'catch and release' but I've kept some ordinary shells back just in case the urge hits and I want to make shell wind chimes in Arizona. Aw, come on Antonia! You're not gonna want to deal with shells when you're in Arizona, are you? Well, you never know. I might.

Books. I've done it before and I can do it again. Let go of some of these damn books! Not only do they take up valuable space but they weigh a lot, a factor one must take into account when towing although that's not much of a factor with this beast of a van pulling this smallish trailer.

Speaking of the size of the trailer, in these older Airstreams the bath takes up the entire rear of the trailer, then moving forward is the bedroom, kitchen, front gaucho area. For the past 2+ years I have kept the bed pulled out in the double position even though it takes up so much room. I first pulled the bed out in October of 2005 when I let a sexy and wild long-haired southern boy move in for a couple of weeks. After he left I had many occasions in which to share that bed with various assorted and sundry males and, now and again, a pit bull.

Yesterday I returned the bed to the twin position. I like the way the room looks, less cluttered. I certainly have more walking-around space. And now the bed resembles a berth on a boat or something a monk or a nun or a prisoner might sleep on.

I used to think that the position of my bed was indicative of my life (not just my sex life): Open in the double position meant I was open to people, expansive; the twin position indicated a feeling of being closed off, alone. But no more. A little over two years ago I learned a valuable lesson: With enough tequila, more than one person can fit on a twin bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Antonia ~ The one thing that I regret the most of letting go in life are books. I love books. I know we can always recollect them, and I have, but sometimes I pine for the books I had and haven't had the time nor money to replace. But I hear you about the weight consideration in culling through things.

I like it that you are keeping those of us, such as myself, who live vicariously through your adventures - up to date on your process of preparing to move.

Oh yeah - keep your shells for sure! I haven't given up on receiving one of those windchimes! even if they are cute-sy or was it kitschy - I love seashells!

Comments on the bed arrangements and tequila will come later. Suffice it to say, you make me smile! junemoon