Thursday, December 4, 2008

the pigs are back

Thanksgiving at my sister's was quite enjoyable. Great people--a very multi-cultural crowd--and great food. I took my Italian Amigo with me and it was good having someone along who was willing to make the long drive home.

Then I got sick. I wanted to get sick. I had no work and I knew that I was due for my yearly cold so I willed it and I got it. I curled up with a book (Kem Nunn, "Tapping the Source") and Nyquil which is fun to take during the day.

The Landlord is in Mexico and the New Tenant is away so it's just me at Fairhaven Cemetery. And is it dark and creepy down here at my corner. The neighbors must all be gone, too, as there are no porch lights across the way.

It was the noise that alerted me to their presence. I thought that a car with a bad exhaust system was idling next to my trailer but that's impossible. So I turned on my porch light and looked out my bedroom window and there they were. Over twenty javelina were walking around my trailer, cutting through the arroyo, then crossing the street. They had to cross the street in two groups because they had to wait for cars--and cars had to wait for them--so I had a lot of time to observe them. Some of the babies were really little and kind of cute.

So that's what a bunch of snorting javelina sound like: a busted muffler.

Now my cold is about gone and the jobs are starting to roll back in. Why are some things so easy to manifest while others...?

No comments: