Friday, December 5, 2008

reaching the century mark

Every single person I know who has ever stopped smoking says that if they ever get a terminal illness or live to be 100, they're going to start smoking again. They say that with such longing that I think they better be careful...you know, that Law of Attraction stuff. "How badly do you want that cigarette, my dear? Well, here, have some pancreatic cancer."

If I get a terminal illness I've decided to become a drug addict.

I guess I've always been too responsible to get addicted to drugs. I know, I know, this coming from a woman who squandered her savings and lives in a trailer in a cemetery. But, really, I've done various drugs throughout my life and as much as I liked them, I always knew my limit.

The thing is, I'm a very uptight person and I'm tired of worrying about things that don't matter. I don't want to fret over things like my currently shitty hair cut. I don't want to beat myself up because I don't exercise enough. I don't necessarily want to be shooting up in some dark alley way. I can't do needles so I'm pretty safe from that. And meth makes people so ugly, I ain't going there. That leaves me with coke, served neat, with a xanax back. Mm-mm.

So if I live to be a hundred, look for me on that beach in Mexico. I'll be in a speeded up/slowed down rapture. I'll be secure and care-free. I'll have Mexican lovers half my age. I'll swim naked in the Sea of Cortez. I won't be afraid to try anything and if I drown while doing it, well, c'est la vie.

Ahhh, those were my middle-of-the-night musings. I guess I can achieve that rapturous state without drugs and before I'm 100 if I really work at it. But if not, I have something to look forward to. Like that last cigarette.

1 comment:

stefany said...

Where ever did you find that pic? FUNNY! I always think about my friend Harlan who quit a raging drug habit (like 3 addictions at once), went to flight school, got a great job, and after 6 sober months, died snow boarding. He was 30. Ain't that a bitch?