Monday, August 20, 2007

i am not a dog person....

so wouldn't you know that I'd go and fall in love with a PIT BULL, that most evil of all dog breeds. Shit, now that I think about it, I was never a man person so it figures that I'd fall for a jailbird. Anyway, I wasn't a dog person, mostly because I knew/know a lot of ill-behaved dogs, dogs that jump on you when you walk in the door (while the owners do nothing to stop them), dogs that bite (sorry O'Malley; you're cute but, really, you've got to stop biting people). I know that mostly it's not the dogs' faults - it's that they have lousy (or no) training.

But I have fallen in love with a pit bull and so it was with interest that I read this article in Salon.com: Pit bulls are innocent. It was a nice article, nothing too deep, but what struck me was the sheer nastiness of some of the responses, mostly from people who believe that the breed should be banned, that people who have pit bulls as pets should turn them in to be killed. When did people become so hate-filled? God. It's like we've lost common sense, the ability to see the gray areas. We fail to look at the big picture or take into consideration other options. Like with a lot of issues, we want quick fixes: Take a pill to lose weight. Build a fence to keep "those people" out. No wonder I want to live as far away from people as possible. Such hateful, angry, evil tones adopted by these letter-writers.

The good news about my pit bull is that she is now living the best of all dog's life. She has become the resident couch potato at my old trailer park. I hear that she lounges on the office sofa, on her back, her belly up in the air available to any and all pats and rubs. Look at her, pretty scary, huh?

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Awwwwwww....cute,cute,cute,cute, cute!