I recently told a few people about this here blog. They were people who had followed my website which I shut down when too many people at The Home of Dashed Hopes started reading it and I could no longer talk honestly about them. T'was a pity, what with such great characters. Anyway, I am still in contact with the owner of that trailer park and I swear, there is always something going on.
While living at Dashed Hopes, a resident's car spontaneously combusted. It was a great sight, one of those southwestern sunsets brought down to earth. This resident later decided to put her trailer up for sale. Right after I left, the trailer burned to the ground. I doubt if she had insurance on it so I don't think she would have burned it for insurance money. Still....it's mighty suspicious if you ask me.
Last month the park suffered another fire. This one caused - inadvertently - by The Sheriff. He was doing some work in the park's work/storage trailer when it caught on fire. No great loss there. However, three RVs in storage were destroyed. Oops.
The park has been sold. The new owner was to take possession in June, then the 1st of July but he was having some feet problems - either they were cold or he was dragging them. He just took possession of the park and apparently wants to fix the place up. Will he allow tent/teepee dwellers? We shall see. Should the park get cleaned up will I go back there? I don't think so.
Because of the sale, the park owner gave her kids some money and The Sheriff went out and bought a huge motorcycle and now he is The Biker! Gone are the cowboy hat, cowboy boots, oilskin coat. Now he - oh god, cracked me up when I saw him - now he wears leathers and a do-rag tied around his head. And he's sprouted a beard. I expect a pony-tail will be his next accoutrement.
The most recent fire made the TV news but just before I left, the park was on the local news twice in one day. Some kids from the park found a fully-loaded AK47 in their tree fort in the vacant lot next door. Cops and everybody figured it was dropped by Mexican drug smugglers. When the TV crew drove up to interview the kids, they said "Hey, what's that yellow crime scene tape around that there trailer?" That was the trailer where the molesters lived. They had just been turned in, arrested, and confessed to the molestations.
It was about two weeks after I left that the Jailbird became a jailbird when the cops were called over a fight between him and his son. When the cops ran his ID they found that outstanding warrant in another state. Oops again.
Hmmm, what else? Some of you know that I found The Rancher but I haven't yet seen him. I really do want to visit with him, see how his cookbook and his autobiography are going. I wonder if he ever goes to his ranch in Mexico...
The main reason I killed my old blog was because of The Spooner. Remember him? I saw him one night and he said "Every time I walked in the bar, the waitresses would ask 'have you slept with her yet?' That's why I stopped coming in here. That's why I stopped seeing you." I asked him why he never told me and he just shrugged. He seemed sincere but I don't know because he had also seemed sincere when he told me that I was a breath of fresh air because I didn't smoke or do drugs. So, guess who his new girlfriend is? A breath of stale air....gag gag choke choke.
The park is pretty empty but that's to be expected in summer in southern Arizona (where they just broke the record for days over 110 degrees). I'll be interested in seeing what becomes of the place. If I end up living there again, I'll be sure to let you know.
Thursday, August 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Reading all this it's no wonder you're a writer - or rather, it's lucky that you're one - can you imagine all this stuff going by unrecorded?
hola jenn. just to clarify, i'm not a writer, i'm a writer-wannabe. but you are so write (hehe), life is rich with stories. i hope my time in that trailer park made me be more accepting of oddballs and taught me to pay better attention to their stories.
Post a Comment