Tuesday, September 25, 2007

the widowed osprey

Last night I moved my chair to the sea wall and watched the sun set on my right and the nearly full moon rise on my left. I'm facing the sea and I should be facing west, or so I think, but our little village faces south. It's disconcerting as all get out and I never know which direction I'm heading. I think I'm traveling north but I'm really going west.

Anyway, as I looked at the moon I saw the osprey on the tallest pole, the moonlight illuminating his head. He was singing, calling to his mate. I was told that when the pair arrived at our park, somehow or other the female got injured, broke her wing and could no longer fly, so she made a home for herself in Chico's backyard. She lived there for three years and became a sort of a pet, Chico making sure that she had plenty of fish. Every night the male osprey would sit on the tallest pole facing Chico's house and sing to his mate and she would sing back. It's no different this night as he sings facing Chico's house. Not too long ago a dog got into Chico's backyard and killed the female osprey. The male doesn't know this. How do you tell a bird to move on, find someone new? Apparently osprey mate for life and so every night he sits on that pole and sings and he doesn't get a response. Does he wonder what happened to her? Does he think he's been jilted? Will he forever sit on that pole, waiting for a response?

I wish I had never been told the story of that osprey and his mate. It's about the saddest story I ever heard.

2 comments:

stefany said...

Heart wrenching. Brutal. I hate this story.

Anonymous said...

Antonia ~ This is, indeed, a heartwrenching story. Did he return this evening with his song for his now deceased mate? But I guess he got to have his mate for a while in his life time. Some say that we're not guaranteed anything in this life and guess that would translate to all life forms. Still, poor little lonely guy... junemoon