My year in Mexico is nearly up and
1) I didn't learn Spanish. Oh, yeah, sure, I now know my numbers and I know a bunch of spanish words, but can I carry on a conversation with a Mexican, in his or her native tongue? No way, Jose.
2) I didn't fall in love. Not even close. Hell, I didn't even get laid, although I could've. It's funny how having sex - or even just the prospect of having sex - was a big deal for me a few years ago but now I know that I can pretty much get laid whenever I want. That's saying something for a woman my age.
Which brings me to
3) I didn't write a book. Damn, I wanted to write a book. I wanted to write a book that would be encouraging to other people my age. But then that shifted and I wanted to write a book that would be encouraging to people of any age. Especially to all those female authors who are "old maids" at 34, female bloggers who are "over the hill" at 32, and female journalists who in their 30's have to settle for "mr. good enough" because once you've reached your 30's you're not much of a prize either, so what do you expect?
Give me a fucking break. I want to slap all those young women silly. If your life is over at 36 then you better hope you're dead by 50. (You know, if 50 is the new 30 then it's looking like 30 is the new 50.)
And, lastly
4) Although pretty damn good, my margarita is not perfect.
Tuesday, February 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Antonia ~ Write the book. Write the book!
As for the margarita - do you make yours on the rocks or in a blender, salt or no salt? junemoon
hola junemoon...so have you run across this 'phenomenon' of young women thinking they're old? hell, i didn't feel old till i got old :o)
on the rocks. tequila (a good quality), cointreau and lime juice. no mix. no sugar. nada. took a while to get the right mix. oh yeah, and salt.
I see no reason to stop trying on any of those goals! Seems to me that you are just hitting your stride. Your greatest accomplishment is that you are getting better by the year. Amongst all the angst I sense a certain contentment and appreciation of things outside yourself.
What is happening with the book? These journal logs seem like interesting subject matter.
My perfect margarita ditches everything but the tequila (good tequila) right out of the freezer. Good tequila can help your spanish too.
ahhhh, ricardo, i do believe you have the perfect margarita recipe down. what would you say is your favorite tequila?
mucho gracias for the kind words. i will continue on with all of my failings (aka non-accomplishments) when i return to arizona next month. i finally have a sort-of plan which i will post about manana maybe.
antonia,
i told stef to give you my new blog address! it's charsugar.blogspot.com I started a new one for the new year for no apparent reason as it's the same as the old one (which should be unblocked by now). i actually felt the little tick walking on my back in his/her little tick hiking boots...:)
thanks for the new blog address, charlotte. my daughter has been a very bad girl when it comes to communicating since she got that darn boyfriend (hrrrmph).
you felt the tick? you mustn't have as much sand in your bed as i do...too much grit to feel anything, even bugs in hiking books :o)
El Tesoro de Don Filipe. Es muy bueno. I prefer the blanco but the reposado and anejo are good also. Don Julio is also quite good and seems to be more widely available.
So, a change is in the air? I'll stay tuned. All the best...
Okay Antonia, now it's my turn to exercise patience - I wanna know what your plans are. to arizona? where? next month? yikes! that's really soon. I guess I'll have to sit quietly and wait for your next post - or at least wait - maybe I'll be loud while I wait. or maybe I'll try my hand at concocting a margarita. better yet, I wish I could come visit you and have you make us both one. I'd bring the tequila - the kind that ricardo uses. junemoon
okay, so this would be a good plan...ricardo y junioluna at my house with tequila. but, alas, ricardo has work to do and junemoon has a dissertation to write but the beauty of life is that anything is possible. salud.
Ok, ok, I feel a writing bug coming on, I do. Boy will all of you feel bad when you read my next entry. You'll try to chalk it up as my having a new boyfriend but you won't be able to. It's much deeper and more pathetic than that.
Yeah right.
mija, deep and pathetic? oh oh.
Post a Comment