These are my two amigas who with me form the beach group known as the '3 short fat blonds' (okay, so only the Fat Pigeon Dog is actually fat; Osita and I are just a bit on the chunky side).They follow me everywhere. They are my shadows. I can no longer walk to the market only a few blocks away or to the tortilla factory. I have to drive. The park is their domain but outside these walls, the streets belong to the town dogs. I don't want to risk one of the Blonds getting into a fight.
The same is true for walking the beach. If we venture too far towards town, I worry for their safety although I imagine they can take care of themselves.
Last week I went kayaking with the Ex Trucker and another friend. As I got in the kayak, the Blonds hovered, sniffed the kayak, tried to get in. I shooed them away and paddled off. When I returned about an hour later, there they were on the beach, barking their greeting, tails wagging, even venturing into the surf. I later heard that they had planted themselves on the boat ramp and watched my progress from there.
They have sleep-overs at my house with the mange dog. When he first got to the park he was near death. Now that he's healthy, he's rather pushy and I've had to kick him out of the party when I hear him growling at the Blonds.People say Pigeon and Osita hang out with me because I feed them but I rarely give them food. I think it's because I give them attention, because I tell them how pretty they are and how good they are and how smart they are. Mexican dogs aren't accustomed to being treated this way.
I feel terrible about leaving Osita. She was abandoned by RVers as a puppy and recently abandoned by the family who took her in. In 3 weeks she will be abandoned by me. She likes having her own human, unlike Pigeon dog who is more of a people dog. But Osita will be okay. I think I did pretty good as a foster mom. Under my care she became less shy. She learned to make the begging rounds: homemade dog cookies from this trailer, left-over bones from that one. She knows what time the gringos gather for happy hour. She and Pigeon dog became closer (as can be seen by their kissing in the photo above).
People say I should take Osita with me but I can't. My trailer is too small and it would not be fair to keep her on a leash or cooped up in this tin can.
Living a life on wheels means I'm always saying good-bye to people. I never in a gazillion years thought I'd be saying farewell to dogs and that those farewells would be harder.
1 comment:
Ouch. Antonia, your post made me tear up. I am a dog lover and I can read how attached you and the two other Blonds have become. Good-byes are hard and I agree that good-byes to our dog companions can often times be tougher than with our human friends.
Wow. Your moving time is coming up fast!
Post a Comment