Sunday, July 13, 2008

female rain

We are early into the monsoons - gentle rains and very little drama - the female rains. Hopefully, the male rains aren't too far behind. Even though my trailer tends to leak when the male rains are here, I think it's worth it for the excitement they bring, all that thunder, lightning, wind, hail, flooding washes and raging rivers.

Other than the leaking, my trailer is the place to be in a storm - the deafening sound of rain pummeling the aluminum, being lifted off the ground by a sonic boom of thunder, rocking in the wind. Quite an amusement park ride.

Last night as I left The Landlord's house, everything went dark. "Oh oh" I said and I heard The Landlord echo "oh oh" from inside his house. He came out with a huge flashlight and held it over his head to light my way to the trailer. I really didn't want to be a show off - okay, I guess I did - because when I reached the trailer, I hollered at him "watch this" and I opened the door and flipped the switch, and voila! lights. The only lights in the whole town. At least, the only lights in this part of town (there were most likely lights in the trailers at the RV parks). Because, see, that's the beauty of trailers. When the electricity goes out, everything switches over to battery or propane. The only thing to go belly up - and out of my trailer's control - was DSL.

I didn't leave the lights on for long ... just long enough to pour a glass of wine. I settled back on the pillows on my bed and enjoyed the darkness and the sound of the soft female rain as she danced on the trailer's roof, doing her best to attract the male rain.

No comments: