Tuesday, July 15, 2008

give me money, ooh-ooh, lots of money

The Landlord, The Yoga Teacher and I went dancing on Saturday night. We were headed to the old hippie biker bar to hear live music but on the way we passed the younger crowd bar which sounded lively so we thought we'd stop in. We ended up closing the bar down.

I actually knew people in the bar that The Landlord didn't know. Quite a feat when you consider that he knows just about everyone. The people I knew who he didn't were the owners of the trailer park I lived in before moving to The Landlord's. So I introduced everyone and we hung out with them most of the evening.

The bar was lively because it was karaoke night. We tried to get the trailer park owners to sign up - they're young people who do karaoke up in the big city - but the sign-up sheet was filled and they were starting one for next week! A lot of the karaoke'ers were very good, a lot were mediocre, the Charles Manson look-alike was pretty awful. My hairdresser was there and she looked stunning in a backless halter top. Oh, for a 30-year-old back! One of the town's business owners was there - a very tall woman with a very deep voice and a very strong jaw line. Hmmm.

The Yoga Teacher and I danced a lot and, man, did that feel good, to be moving around.

We ended the evening out on the patio talking to a couple of young guys and a man close to our ages who The Landlord thought was gay but wasn't his type.

As were were leaving, about 2:30 in the morning, we ran into a shop owner I had met earlier in the day. She was having a dinner party that night and when I was in the shop, her chef kept running in and out for supplies and to ask questions. He was a very interesting-looking black man with dreads down to the middle of his back. She said the dinner party had been a success, this sit-down affair for eight produced by her own private chef.

A lot of people in this town have a lot of money. A lot of people got here when houses were cheap cheap cheap and so they were able to fix them up and now when they're not in their nice homes they travel the world or spend half the year in their second homes in Mexico.

Even The Dancer has money from somewhere. She told me that she gets about $450 a month Social Security but she has a house here, a house in Mexico, a new car, and just bought a 32" television. Obviously she's got money coming in from somewhere other than Social Security.

I've never had money. But I want money. I want a lot of money. I want my trailer to get so filled up with money that there's no room for me and so I have to move out and get a bigger place. My trailer will be like a piggy bank - it kind of looks like one, doesn't it? - and large-denomination bills will float down from the skies and enter the trailer through the slit in the roof.

Whoa! After a really slow work week (I made less than $200), a bunch of jobs just came in. I better get at 'em, and get that slit cut into the trailer's roof.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Antonia ~ I love the image you paint of your piggy bank trailer ~ wouldn't that be awesome?! Your evening out on the town sounds so FUN! You reminded me of how much I love to dance and how long it's been since I've done so...

I always thought the rains were the other way around ~ the female storms were the biggest and show-iest. Your version though makes sense though. junemoon