Monday, August 18, 2008

the bugs of summer

So the doctor at the clinic looked at my bites and said she thought they were ant bites. "Shit," I said, "that means there must be ants in my bed but I haven't seen any." She said they were probably the little tiny ones. She offered to give me a shot to relieve the itching. I asked her if it would make me drowsy, like the Benadryl I had taken the day before, and she said it would so I turned it down. I needed to work and couldn't afford to spend another day comatose.

"What about the blisters in my mouth?" She said they looked like cold sores. "I've never had those in my life," I said. I thought, that can't be right, that all of a sudden at this age I would start getting cold sores. I looked cold sores up on the Internets and most of the stuff I found said that cold sores are on the outside of the mouth; on the inside they are probably canker sores. I don't know, I still think that I might have transferred some bug venom to my mouth but whatever.

Nothing makes it difficult to fall asleep like the thought that there are bugs in your bed.

Anyway, I've been suffering with the bites and the blisters. Not much I can do about them. Then yesterday I found a dead spider in my bed and I figured he was the culprit. I've been bitten by those little fire ants as I sit outside and their bites hurt like hell. I'm sure I would've felt it if they were dining on me while I slept.

Of course, now we're experiencing monsoon plague number four: mosquitoes. Which means that I have a whole new crop of bites. And not only that but yesterday morning I killed a black widow spider who was crawling up the side of my trailer.

Aw shit, I think the doc may have been right about the fire ants. My bites look like the ones on google or flicker images. Great. I guess I'll change my sheets for the third time this week...Man, can I obsess about this stuff or what?

3 comments:

Kat said...

Ummm, ugh! I've got the heebie-jeebies just thinking about all those bug attacks. (*shudder*). Guess I won't be moving to Arizona soon! :)

Miss you though! No bug bites here in Portland ... just sayin'! ;)

Ms S

Annette said...

geez kat, i miss you bunches. when you comin' this way to visit your sister? i know she's at the opposite corner of my state but, hell, with gas prices as low as they are :o) i can afford a road trip up thata way. oh, and yo, are you working too much to post? or lovin' too much to post?

Kat said...

No plans for an Arizona trip soon .... 110 degrees just ain't something I'm paying money to be in, knowwhatI'msayin??

Okay, I did a post! Sheesh! But with no more vomit stories, it's just kinda boring, ya know? :)