Wednesday, April 7, 2010

senior citizens smoke pot

Everyone I know who smoked pot when they were younger still smoke pot as old farts (unless they turned Republican). The surprising bit to me is how many senior citizens smoke pot daily, even here in RV/snowbird land. Some RVing snowbirds smoke pot all day long in their rigs which is evidenced by their mellow demeanor and droopy eyelids as they emerge from their RVs for four o'clock happy hour. Now that certainly is not typical of RVers who mostly prefer getting shitfaced to getting high.

I had mentioned in an earlier post that on the fourth of July a couple years back when I lived in the only blue dot in all of Arizona that some senior citizen lady made pot brownies that knocked us on our asses for the entire day. The Landlord and I kind of stumbled from our trailers to ooh and ahh over the fireworks then stumbled back to our beds. I swore I'd never eat pot brownies again. Well, I did end up eating pot brownies again down here with some RVing senior citizens. I had to do it because it was so much like being the bad kids in Catholic school - smoking cigarettes in the girls' room or skipping class or making out with a boyfriend in the janitor's closet.

My friend didn't have the ingredients for brownies but she did have chocolate cake mix. There were about six of us gathered at 8 in the morning for coffee, Baileys, and "chocolate cake." One of the people who joined us was a Canadian who had never smoked pot or eaten it. This would be his first experience at 70 years old. We were very careful not to offer cake to passers-by, not wanting some old fart to think they were having a stroke or something.

We ate our cake, drank our coffee, went to our homes on wheels. I didn't see anyone for the rest of the day. The cake wasn't as intense as the brownies but it sure made moving around difficult. The Canadian didn't show up for four o'clock happy hour. The next day he said he didn't think he felt much until it was obvious that he couldn't leave his trailer. I never did find out if his wife knew of his pot experience.

To all you young'uns out there my hope is that some day you'll hear your grandma say "Why back in the day, smoking maryjane was illegal" and you'll moan and say, "Please, grandma, we've heard you say that before. Now pass me that joint."

No comments: