I could not place many enticements on my altar because I created it with few provisions on hand and many people in mind. My altar is a little heavy on the Catholic iconography but, hell, that's all I got. Besides, there are quite a few Catholics on my Dead list. I did find the flowers at the meat market. Tequila may not be to everyone's liking but on my altar it represents all kinds of alcohol, which many of my Dead will surely appreciate.
Along the awning I strung lights and chimes and lanterns.
Also you might have noticed that I created a shade porch. It's a little rudimentary - shade cloth clipped to the awning edge then draped over a rope we strung from my place to The Texans' but hey, it works. This time of year my patio is in full sun from 9 a.m. till sunset and the shade cloth has made a world of difference. Now if only the gnats would go away so I could go outside before dusk.
Ta-da, the Disserchime. It's not real clear from this photo but I have taken bits of a typed manuscript and glued them inside some of the larger shells. Will the tinkling Disserchime be the inspiration I need? Doubtful. But maybe the dolphins will inspire me. Yep, dolphins have wandered into our little bay and even though the water is quite shallow here, they have gotten pretty close to the beach. If the gnats would go away, I'd go out and take some photos. (Okay, 'gnats gnats gnats', it's tiresome to read about, I know, but not nearly as tiresome as dealing with them. We all hate them. The weather is perfect but we let the little fuckers chase us indoors. aargh.)Oh, and Halloween was a blast. I haven't seen so many Trick-or-Treaters since I was a kid. I was out of candy pretty quickly. The kids came in huge groups but all were very polite, many saying 'thank you' in English, and all of them singing the Mexican Halloween song which goes something like "give us candy or you're a son-of-a-bitch" (I kid you not).
3 comments:
Oh Antonia ~ Thank You SO much for the last paragraph of your post - I laughed so loud that my SO came to see what I was chortling about. And I can tell you that amidst my housecleaning frenzy today that a good belly laugh feels great!
I totally want to see your disser chime up closer. I wish I could just blink my eyes or twinkle my nose or say "Beam me to Antonia's Scotty" or some such thing so I could come for a quick looksie. The gnats, however, sound horrible. Being from Alaska, I can totally relate to how those kind of things, we call them noseeums up North, can run us around the corner and back. Bummer. Especially since your weather there sounds so delightful.
Your shaded veranda looks very inviting and I want to come partake of some of the tequila from the altar. Are your dead folks the sharing kind? junemoon
junemoon, the gnats are the worst, i think, in fall and spring so come down in the winter. i have gallons, i mean liters, of tequila!
did you get the comment i left on your blog about your wonderful sky-dropping poem? i went back and couldn't find it. i think it might've ended up under another post (that happened once before). let me know.
glad you laughed :o)
Yes, I did receive your welcome comment about my sky poem and yes, it did end up on another post - the "Visualize what?" entry. I don't know why that happens. Maybe it's a glitch in wordpress as I have had other oddities happen that I am blaming on them (whether it's true or not, that's my story and I'm sticking to it). But as I said in my response to your comment, I love comments wherever they might land on my little blog. junemoon
Post a Comment