I tried to move to this town about three years ago but my efforts were thwarted when the Minutemen came down here to do their first ever border patrol, busting UDAs (although I’m sure they called them “Illegals”), and maybe lining them up at gun point (‘can we shoot ‘em, huh? huh?’) while waiting for the Border Patrol to arrive. I didn’t want to be in the midst of this insanity. So I stayed at The Home of Dashed Hopes.
Now I’m here and I think this town wants me.
Everyone is just so damn nice. The guy at the post office. The waiter. The woman at the library...where there is an opening (just my cuppa tea). My new hairdresser.
She is my daughter’s age. We share that. Also her mom is a Capricorn (like me). My hairdresser lived on The Big Island (like my daughter). Me and my Hairdresser grew up in the same midwestern town. Can you believe it?
She said “You lived in Mexico by yourself? You towed a trailer? What did you do while there? Did you walk the beach? Did you write?”
Well, yeah, I said, I walked and I wrote. She asked me about “the book” and so I told her the abbreviated version, not wanting to bore her with the musings of a woman twenty years older. She was enthusiastic. We bonded over my book...and my hair.
Next weekend I’m going on a motorcycle ride with a couple I met on the Sea of Cortez and a friend of theirs.
Tonight I’m going to dinner with a gay man I know who knows friends of mine in the Pacific Northwest.
This is the first time in four years where I have fallen into a town where I actually know people – sort of. Friends of friends. The manager of this park. The retired firefighter who is in love with a Hispanic woman who lives on the Sea of Cortez.
And then there’s the psychic who, knowing nothing about me, said “you have an amazing ability to make your home wherever you happen to be; go ahead, get that p.o. box”. So I did. And now I’m home. For now.
i'm trying to write this outdoors, the only place i can pick up the wifi signal. it's not easy, the sun reflecting off the computer screen. oh well...tomorrow i'll order DSL. i'll have DSL and a POB. fuck, my life as an acronym. ttfn.
1 comment:
YAY! I'm gladding things are looking up there! I bet you grow to absolutely LOVE IT! :)
Post a Comment