Saturday, August 16, 2008

too young for medicare, too wealthy for health care

I make too much money to qualify for Arizona's health insurance program, AHCCCS, pronounced Access. The nice eligibility worker put my information into the computer: Do I have a home? No. Do I have any CD's? No. Money market accounts? No. Pension plans? No. Vehicle? Yes. Value? $5,000 if I'm lucky. Based on my last 4 weeks earnings, she estimated my annual income to be $13,000 and that's before taxes. And so I was disqualified.

Let's assume that I won't have to pay income taxes on that piddly little salary but I will have to pay 15% social security tax (I'm a subcontractor) so that brings my yearly income down to $11,050. Divide that by 12 and my monthly pay is $921.

I'm lucky. I pay so little in rent that I can live pretty good on $921 although road trips, book buying and fine dining are kind of out the picture. But for others...

What is the average rent for an apartment or house in Arizona? Let's say it's $500. That leaves $421 for phone, utilities, gas, car insurance, food, health care, clothes, toilet paper. When the eligibility worker asked about utilities I said, "What about DSL?" "Internet service doesn't count," she said. "But I need that for work." She was sorry but the state is kinda behind the times that way.

So those of you who don't think we need some kind of universal health care, well, just think what might happen if someday you should find yourself without a job, or with a job that doesn't provide health insurance. And let's say you make a lot more than $11,050 a year but how much is private insurance going to cost you?

None of this is new but with the elections coming up, I would hope that this would be an important issue for people to consider. But, no, most people will be swayed more by someone's "celebrity" than their politics, if you believe McCain. Or you won't want to vote for a Muslim, if you believe Internet lies. Or you would never vote for a black man in spite of the fact that his economic package, if nothing else, will get this country back on track.

So, hey, go ahead with your meme thinking and pray to god that you keep your job and your health insurance. Fuck the rest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But how do you really feel?

Hey, I pay about 2 thirds of what you make to cover my family with health insurance. I would love it if the government would pay that but I would be very scared if they were providing the healthcare infrastructure. You ever been to the DMV or Social Security office? Or just take your visit to the Arizona office. Did that make sense that you were denied? Behind the times???

Sorry, but I don't buy into any of these politicians taking care of my needs. It all sounds like a lot of BS to get elected to me.

Annette said...

yeah but ricardo, how do you really feel? :o)

IMHO all politicians suck. i don't trust a one of them. but we need some solution to the healthcare problem--you shouldn't have to pay so much and i should be eligible for some kind of coverage.

actually i've had great luck with the state-run offices here...i think it's the small town mentality. the eligibility worker i talked with works at a community health care center and works to get people on the state system. she was pretty cool, over-rode their denial so we can give it another shot.

anyway, i'd take a government-run system over none. hell, when have we ever had a choice other than lesser of two evils? never in my life time.

okay, thanks for giving me an excuse to take a typing break.