Friday, November 21, 2008

isolation or socialization?

That is a question posed by a friend from Texas and I tell you what, I struggle with that one every single day.

I so badly want to live out in the middle of nowhere that it hurts. Yesterday I drove to a small town about 25 miles away to see the dentist. I passed through open range land with occasional clumps of trees marking a homestead. The dried grasses shimmered gold and mountain silhouettes added a bit of drama.

I want to live where I can see the sun set and the sun rise and trace the cycles of the moon. I want to see that thunderstorm approach and watch the sky as it changes from blue to red to orange.

I live in a bowl. My trailer is surrounded by hills and mountains and tailing piles. I've missed a lot of sunsets, full moons and rainbows.

But, shoot, if I'm lonely here, in town and with my Three Amigos, I can't imagine how lonely I would be under one of those clumps of trees out in the middle of nowhere. For me the ideal scenario would be if this piece of property was on the outskirts of town and The Landlord and various tenants were with it. Or if I lived with someone, a lover, in one of those homesteads. Passersby would squint at the sun's rays glinting off this shiny aluminum trailer now turned guest house. Yep, that would be pretty nice.

To that 11:11 guy I say, yeah, I know all about the Law of Attraction. The problem is, in order to attract, you gotta know what you want. Therein lies the problem.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, Antonia, here is my idea of the ideal place to live. On the outskirts of town there would be a few acres where a compatible group of say 8 to 12 folks decided to park their RVs kinda like the spokes of a wheel with a generous space at the "hub" for an open air cabana with a firepit and comfy chairs, maybe a rustic bar with a couple of stools, a table, you get the picture. Everybody has their pie-shaped piece of land where they can grow their flowers and tomatoes and set up their own litle private sanctuary if they want for those times when you just want to cogitate by yourself. There would always be somebody down at the cabana looking to shoot the breeze if you were in the mood for that. We could help each other when the car breaks down or when you need a ride home after your colonoscopy etc. Sounds good, no?
Paloma

Annette said...

Paloma. Perfect. You nailed it. Man, we dream big, don't we? WE WANT TO LIVE IN A TRAILER PARK! Actually, although smaller, that is kind of what The Landlord had in mind when he bought this itty-bitty trailer park...it would be a place where the people who live here take care of each other.

Unfortunately, I think we'd need to bring in People With Money to create our own park. In lieu of that, I say we find a small inexpensive RV/trailer park and we converge on that. With enough like-minded souls, we'd have the luxury of the life you describe without the upkeep. So start lookin' around. I know of a place in New Mexico....