Saturday, October 20, 2007

am i this crazy?

There are two women who live in this park full-time and they are batty, both of them. Beings as there aren't a lot of single women around, much less single women who live in trailers in Mexico, I can't help but wonder if I'm as nutty as they are.

Susanne

I asked "why do you have a bandaid on your nose?"

She proceeded to tell me about her new mp3 player, the failed cd drive, customer support, a destructive restore, an angry email, a fixed problem, her 4 children, one teenaged son's marriage, the son and wife and new baby living with her along with her 3 other kids and her loser brother, the daughter-in-law playing hooky from school, she kicks out the young family, but a few months later she takes in the baby, had strict rules, bedtimes at 8:00 even for the older kids, her second husband the SOB who left her to go to Korea (the best thing he ever did)...

She leaves a half hour later; I never did hear about her nose.


Virginia

"Susanne! Susanne!"

I poke my head out the door. "Are you calling me?"

"You're Susanne aren't you?"

"No, I'm Antonia."

"Gail Susanne ______" she reads from the piece of mail she holds in her hand as if by saying my full name I'll remember who I am.

"That's not me."

"Oh, oh, okay. I know that," she says as she walks over to Susanne's trailer.


Susanne

Three days later.

"Here's your change for the groceries. It only came to $13."

"I don't think that's right," I say. "The cheese alone cost nearly that much."

"Oh. Maybe I added wrong. I'll double-check. The bandaid is because my glasses cut into the bridge of my nose and so I just leave it on even when I have my glasses off. No sense removing the bandaid each time I remove my glasses."

"Okay."

Virginia

A truck comes through the park. "Are you looking for someone?" she snarls at the driver.

Then she turns to me (I'm sitting outside reading) and yells "Susanne, Susanne, they're looking for you."

And I shout "I'm not Susanne" at the same time I hear Mrs. Texas shout "she's not Susanne" and Virginia goes "oh, I know that" and directs the truck to Susanne's trailer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Antonia ~ I really enjoy reading about your life there at your trailer park. The characters are fun, interesting, and often times contradictions of themselves. I also enjoy the names you give them - the Texans, The Lesbians, etc.

Enjoy your day! junemoon