Tuesday, October 9, 2007

mija

In a lot of ways my daughter is like me. But in a big way we are totally different. Her recent blog entry points to this difference. Where she is comfortable moving through the lives of the rich and beautiful and famous, I am a total inept. Plop me down in an unknown town, a dive bar, a trailer park from hell, and I am at home, confident, happy. The thought of landing somewhere near LA and my throat constricts in panic. My daughter, on the other hand, laughs easily with these people, massages their naked bodies (and egos?), listens to their deepest secrets, becomes their best friend and confidante.

I can sit at a bar where I know no one and be happy as a clam. I can chat with vendors who come through the park or gringos who happen upon my site. I can happily dine alone, go to movies alone, travel to foreign countries alone, strike up conversations...with normal run-of-the-mill people. But if you seem perfect - lasered and suctioned and snipped and capped - then I cannot be around you. Because you have worked so hard to make yourself perfect, you will concentrate on my flaws. You will wonder "why hasn't she had her eyelids lifted?" which, and this is the truth, an acquaintance asked me not too long ago. She said "It's time for me to get my eyelids done again and by the look of it, you need yours done too." Great. Another flaw to focus on that I hadn't even thought about.

So I stay away from people who seem perfect. And rich.

Not only that but I have a fear of parties, of dates, of going to peoples' homes. If someone plops down on a barstool next to me and a conversation evolves, great; if not, that's fine too. If our meeting is less than organic, if it is planned, then I can't do it. For example, on Sunday I had a date to go to the Bicycle Vendor's casa to converse, to trade words and questions. In anticipation of our get-together I was a wreck all day. I had a near panic attack. When I did go to his house, I knocked lightly on his door, once. No one answered so I scurried back to my van and drove away. Today he said "I was in the shower but when I came to the door you were driving away."

The photographer asked if I would assist her at a local family's son's wedding. She asked would I shoot video and I said I would. Immediately I thought "shit, why did I say I would do that?" and began thinking up excuses.

I am a total fucking nutcase.

Which brings me to the subject of change. What does it take to change this kind of insane behavior? I guess it starts by saying 'yes' and then following through with the commitment. I went to the Bicycle Vendor's house yesterday and it was fun. I won't back out of my videographer duties. I'll try to learn by my daughter's example. However, I will not be going to LA any time soon. And if she doesn't come back from Atlanta, like if the reformed mafia guy ain't so reformed, then I think I'll be happy sticking with my cowboy bars and fellow trailer trash.

8 comments:

Jenn said...

I would look at it another way. I would say you are totally turned off by fakes and at some level, don't consider them good enough for you to talk to.

I know what you mean about people meeting you and focussing on your flaws. I got an earful recently from someone who focussed on all things sartorial.

Thing is, we know we're terrific. We don't need their validation. And the way to fit in is not to try. Just lean back, relax, and let them do the sweating...

stefany said...

I don't NEED their validation. I actually LIKE some of these people. We are actually all the same. The generalizations made here are huge.
The original title for my blog entry was "Fuck Yes". That's funny. I like ALL kinds of people. Guess what though? I hate parties, dates, crowds... I like breaking through to the core of what really lives inside people. Sometimes the fake packages are decieving of the fruitful insides. We all have stories. We all fear our flaws being noticed some people can just afford to get rid of them if they want. I refuse to judge those we think judge us.
And it sure makes life interesting.

Annette said...

hi jenn. actually what i have learned is that a lot of the people i'm 'afraid of' are really nice people. it's just that i'm so intimidated, i don't give them a chance...or i don't give me a chance would be more like it. i certainly admire my daughter's ability to move through all layers of the social strata.

and, shoot, if the truth be known, if i had the bucks, i'd probably do a tad bit of nipping and tucking myself. just a tad, mind you :o)

Annette said...

hola mija...haha we cross-commented. i hope you get that i don't think those generalizations hold up either. in laying my insecurities on the line, it's just that: my insecurities. it has nothing to do with the 'others'.

i too like getting to people's cores. sometimes we just have to scratch and scratch to get there.

stefany said...

Ha! Jenn left me the nicest comment. I feel bad, I jumped the gun a little. I just wanted it to be known that we are all insecure-and brave- and fearful. And we all 3 know that. I just love the nitty-gritty fruit of life-salt of the earth stuff and so do you Annacita. I love my new name for you.

Annette said...

mija, when i saw 'annacita' and that you miss your mom, i didn't think you were talking about me! (okay, i just wasn't sure).

do you like annacita better than camarronette (little shrimp?). or frijolette (little bean?). yeah, i guess annacita is better :o)

Jenn said...

Geez Stef, you took offence? I stick by my generalisations though. I can't stand the "surface" people. But our contempt for each other is usually mutual, so I don't feel too bad about it.

Annette said...

jenn, i'm with you when it comes to having problems with 'surface' people. i guess the point is, some people are deeper than we give them credit for. besides, if you ascribe to 'the secret' (as it seems that it is almost continuously running through your head!) then you know that as long as you have contempt for certain people, they will have contempt for you and visa versa. you just need to change your thinking (oh if only it were that easy!).