Friday, October 26, 2007

princess

"You're just like Paloma", Mr. Texan said as I walked back from The Lesbian Couple's trailer carrying two sacks of groceries, this time containing rice and pancake mix and a bottle of Cabernet. That I was compared to a dog is not flattering.

The park dogs are beggars and Paloma is the worst. Even though her home is less than a block away, she chooses to live at the park, endearing herself to the snowbirds, getting fatter and lazier as the winter progresses until she can barely walk come June (becoming more pigeon-like than dove-like). I share that 'endearing' quality with Paloma, I'm sure, but it is my begging ability, the bags of food the travelers give me just before they head home, that most mirrors Paloma. The Skeeper has always given me the best leftovers - bacon, cheese, salsa - but not this time; this time I think their leftovers went to the Texans. I think Mrs. Skeeper didn't want The Princess to get them.

It's not that we didn't get along. I liked her immediately when the first 'fuck' flew out of her mouth. I didn't see her much over the week they were here and I worried that as a single woman who spends time with her husband when he is down here alone that maybe she would not like me too much. I don't know. It's hard to gauge these things. During this past week I did keep to myself a lot, mostly due to my loneliness mood, but mostly I wanted to stay out of their way. Maybe that was the wrong thing to do. Did my absence look suspicious?

I don't know why The Skeeper calls me 'Princess' - I've been too chicken to ask because it must relate to some princess-like behavior of mine that I don't know I possess. When I first met Mrs. Skeeper she said "well hello there Princess" in a very friendly way but maybe she wanted a little distance between The Skeeper and The Princess. There are a lot of 'maybes' here. I'm clueless because I skipped the chapter in the "RV Handbook" called 'Maneuvering amongst couples when you're not one'.

This, of course, is no different than real life wherein a single person becomes friends with a member of the opposite sex who happens to be in a couple. This can be an okay situation or not. But this feels more burdensome. Maybe because The Texan Couple made a point of telling me that as a single woman I should be careful and not get too close to the men, that the women wouldn't like that.

On the other hand, in what must be one of my Princess moments, I think fuck 'em if they get jealous. The men are more fun, anyway, going sailing and fishing and drinking while the women sit around making crafts out of seashells. Like, uh, windchimes. (Mine are fabulous, btw, especially the 'Disser chime' created with Junemoon in mind and which is nearly finished. Photos to someday follow.)

Just as I was to hit the 'publish post' button Lesbian Couple #2 appeared with a sack of goodies which included a bag of Peet's coffee! I've been out of coffee for weeks. The Princess scores - woof woof!

6 comments:

Kat said...

I've always embraced my "Her Royal Highness" title. Hell yeah, I deserve to be treated like a queen! What of it?!! (heh)

(yeah, shocking I'm still single, ain't it?!!! :))

You go, girl! You enjoy your free groceries ... and the title! Maybe I'll knit us some tiaras! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hola Antonia ~ I am keeping track of your lonely period. I've missed your visits to my little blog... Having some acquaintance with loneliness myself, I am sending you comforting vibes via this little comment.

I smiled when I read of your continued work on your disser chimes!

Score on the Peet's coffee!! and for reclaiming the comparison to Paloma that Mr. Texan construes as negative. My very best friend ever was my beloved dog companion, Annie Rosa. junemoon

Annette said...

good morning Her Royal Highness and Royal Poetess. knitted tiaras for one and all (surely there's a pattern out there somewhere).

it is funny how one can hide out from the virtual world. junemoon, rest assured that i do check in on your blog, albeit stealthily.

ms kat, will you have your photo taken with Springsteen? knowing you, i think you'll figure out a way.

Anonymous said...

Okay Antonia once again, I like your creative idea - knitted tiaras! OMG. Those could be way cool. I am re-learning/re-remembering how to crochet (long story), so maybe they could be crocheted tiaras with sorts of found shiny things worked in!!

I'm heartened to hear that you do stop by my little blog from time to time.

By the way, or would that be BTW, what's happening w/Mister Jailbird? junemoon

Annette said...

junemoon, i stop in at your blog more often than time to time. i thought i would try the poetry exercise: river, lavender, etc etc but, hell, your poem was so lovely i figured i'd just go back and read it every once in a while.

i'm trying to relearn crocheting too! i'll hop over to your blog tomorrow and you can tell me why you're crocheting.

jailbird gets released in november, i think. i have my fingers crossed that he stays north of the border :o)

Jenn said...

Hellow Princess!