Sunday, October 21, 2007

more lesbians! we have more lesbians!

Late yesterday Lesbian Couple #2 moved into the park. I swear, take these two women and put them in a dimly-lit room with The Lesbian Couple and you couldn't tell them apart: All four are in their 60s, 'robust' figures, short gray hair, all clad in shorts and t-shirts. But talk to them and there is one major difference: The Lesbian Couple are (is?) republicans. I never will understand how anyone in the gay/lesbian/bi/transgender (did I get them all?) community can be republican. But Lesbian Couple #2 are lefties, radical feminists, my kind of girls! Thank god there are finally people around I can talk to on a deeper level - if only for a few days as they are heading back to Canada on Thursday. They are leaving their trailer here and will move it into my space when I vacate it.

I think if they were sticking around I would feel better about sticking around. I do hate to complain and grumble when I'm living such a great life - sitting by the Sea of Cortez, not working, not worrying (not yet on both counts, the former the cause of the latter) - but I've been pretty fucking miserable lately. All these couples. All these politically conservative couples. I have no one to play with. I'm lonely. I'm bored. But my mood sure picked up with the arrival of Lesbian Couple #2.

I feel terribly sad about their departure. And not only that, but now my stellar reputation at the park has been diminished. I bailed on my videographer duties. I did fine at the church but then I got a raging headache and at the reception the loud music and The Photographer both made my headache worse. I disliked getting close to people with the spotlight attached to my camera, all the while dragging a hugely long extension cord, and so when The Photographer took my camera to shoot something, I left. I thought I'd just be gone a few minutes, until the aspirin kicked in, but then I met up with Raul and we walked over to The Lesbian Couple's bodega where we encountered them and Lesbian Couple #2 and The Texan Couple and so I stayed there. Then Mrs. Old Geezer showed up and said "there you are!" and it turned out that she and another snowbird had been helping with video duties in my absence. Busted! She seemed pretty mad. I was amazed at how little I cared, at how I felt bad but only a little. Tough, I thought, I don't like these people anyway.

Aye carrumba. Is that a crappy attitude or what?

And back to that loneliness thing....The Jailbird called yesterday on my Skype number but by the time I turned up the speakers and plugged in the mike I was too late to accept the call. I think it's a good thing that happened because loneliness would surely cause me to say something I shouldn't. This morning I pictured having The Jailbird around when Lesbian Couple #2 showed up. How would that fly? He'd probably be okay but say something stupid and my lez-cred would be out the door. So it's just as well that I missed his call.

5 comments:

la cabeza en la puerta said...

are you against lesbians?...
by the way, jueves, (thursday) se pronuncia JU-É-VES (HOO-E-BES), and the J is more strong, is not like the sound of the H in english or J in american spanish... and huevos (eggs) se pronuncia we-bos.
From Spain, Javi (Ha-bee)

Annette said...

mucho gracias Javi for the pronunciation lesson. i do have a problem with those j's and h's. and where the accent goes...for instance, facil. been practicing the right way of saying that word for days.

if i gave the impression of being against lesbians, i sure didn't make myself clear in that post, did i?

the head in the door?

Charlotte said...

Antonia, it's hard to be far from like-minded people. It's Isolating and lonely. I know what you mean - i feel bad complaining about Grenada, it's so lovely. But limited. At least there are definitely liberal people in universities but I'm surprised to find a fair share of Repubs too. I can't hate repubs just for being repub because that would be very republican of me. But I have fellow students who think G.W.Bush is a great man! Aye carumba!!

Annette said...

hola charlotta! you know, when i first moved among "the others" i found them interesting and i was simply an observer. now i'm bored by them and their Fox-noise sound-bites. i knew you could relate to how i feel. however, i do envy your friends and fun and drinking binges :o)

Anonymous said...

Here's a rah-rah cheer for the radical lezzies! I imagine that it is way challenging to be missing the camaraderie of like-minded folk. I know living in the far-right conservative state of Alaska for many years, was stifling at times to this outside mainstream woman. I wish Lesbian Couple No. 2 could stay for a while longer in your neck of the beach. junemoon